Updated: Aug 21
Any food blog isn't complete without a Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.
In my countless hours in the kitchen, I've tested numerous recipes from numerous blogs, but this one seems to be the favorite among everyone.
It's slightly different than your usual recipe, heavy on brown sugar, and has a bit of Crisco.
But what do these additions do to change up the cookie? Brown sugar and Crisco are in this recipe, but do they genuinely alter a recipe that much? You betcha they do.
Cookies are a recipe where each little change will alter the recipe entirely. A little extra butter and your cookie will spread out; brown your butter beforehand, and your cookies will have a wonderful nutty flavor. And, of course... the vanilla you use will improve the cookie flavor significantly.
But back to the Crisco and brown sugar... brown sugar has two effects. Due to its high Molasses content, it will add moisture to the cookies and make them chewier. It'll also help prevent the cookies from spreading out as much in the oven. A good rule of thumb is the more brown sugar you add to a recipe, the chewier it'll be. The more white sugar you add, the crispier it'll be.
On the other hand, Crisco makes the cookies softer as it is 100% fat. So there we have it, extra brown sugar for a chewier cookie and crisco for a more delicate cookie. The perfect chewy cookie recipe packed with flavor!
With our addition of pecans, a little crunch cuts through the softness—a perfect balance.
Of course, we highly recommend using vanilla paste, which you can read about here. After you finish the dough, we highly recommend you chill the dough for at least 12 hours, as this will help the flavors develop and prevent the cookies from spreading too much.
And so, without further wait, let's get baking!
"The Flying Chef"
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: ~2 Dozen
Prep Time: ~15 Minutes Inactive Time: ~10 Minutes Total Time: ~25 Minutes
1. 3/4th Cup Softened Unsalted Butter
2. 1/4th Cup Crisco
3. 1 Cup Brown Sugar
4. 1/2 Cup Ultrafine Bakers Sugar
5. 2 Eggs
6. 1 tsp Vanilla Paste
7. 2 1/4th Cup Flour
8. 1 tsp Baking Powder
9. 1/2 tsp Salt
10. 2 Cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
11. 1 Cup Chopped Pecans
1. Cream the butter, crisco, brown sugar, and bakers sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs and vanilla paste until well combined.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a second mixing bowl. Slowly sift the flour mixture into the butter mixture while beating the mixture slowly.
3. Fold in the chocolate chips and pecans and refrigerate for about 12 hours.
4. Scoop the cookies of desired size upon an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes at 375 Degrees.
Recipe By: Chef Olson Thewoodenspoonchefs.com
Did you make this recipe? Take a picture and tag on instagram at the_wooden_spoon_chefs